Skip to main content

'What reading means to me?' Samantha Vickery's 2nd Prize winning competition entry..


What reading means to me?

“My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together”(Tahereh Mafi, Shatter me)

Reading means everything to me, if it wasn’t for reading, I certainly would not be the person I am today. I’ve been to places I could never go myself. I’ve gone forward in time; I’ve gone backwards. I’ve met people I would have never met in reality; the good, the bad, the famous, the monotonous and the ordinary. I’ve travelled the world and the universe and all this has happened to create the person I am today.

As a child, my first memories of reading include Topsy and Tim and Cinderella but, it was Matilda that cemented my love of reading. Matilda was a little girl who defied and defeated the bad in her world by being good and with her knowledge that all reading she had done, had given her a ‘view of life they had never seen’.

The illustration on the front of Matilda uncannily belongs in my world. Matilda is there, propped up on her cabinet, a little girl made something more, not just because of the propping action but because of the book she has in her hands and the piles of them she is surrounded by.

Books are not only entertaining and a good way to distract yourself from your own reality, they are inspirational and stimulation. Happy endings offer hope that everything will end happily ever after, after all. Even the sad endings are only so because of some beauty portrayed which has now been lost. Metaphorical and physical beauty is like a light and always offers hope.

As Trigiani notes in the Big Stone Gap, “The terrible things that happen to us in this life never make any sense when we’re in the middle of them, floundering, no end in sight, there is no rope to hang onto.” When I read stories, I can at least find a rope. My breadth of understanding is expanded. When I’m lonely, I can find friends in the characters or facts to make more familiar in my surroundings. For example, when I was alone in Japan, it was so difficult to get hold of English written books so over three weeks, I read Memoirs of a Geisha four times over. Not only did Sayuri keep me company, the knowledge and understanding of Japanese culture that this beautiful novel gave me made me feel more at home in the foreign land. Without this novel, three weeks in Japan could have felt a lot longer and daunting. In fact, without it, I may never have seen the stay through and terminated my round world trip there and then before it had even barely started.

Books can be life changing. I completed the marathon after reading Murakami, What I talk about when I talk about running. Murakami also reminded me why I run, to lose myself in a void. That is why I read too, I lose my reality when I’m immersed in my book. Instead I’m busy rewriting the very story I’m reading as I interpret each new word I read.

My mum and I are both members of the Yeovil College Reading Club and it is amazing how we can read the same books each month and interpret the story so differently. Mum guessed early on in The Cuckoo’s Calling who the killer was but not with the same words on the page, I was stumped until the final revelations. Yet I believed Tony to be a good man, from the moment he was introduced yet Mum judged him much more harshly. It is fascinating how a mother and daughter could interpret the same words so differently yet so similarly. It is amazing how we all process and tweak exactly the same words in our heads and for me, reading just illustrates the exceptional uniqueness and mystery of the human mind. Books help us to unlock further secrets of our very own mind.

Books also give me hope. I hate that one day due to money or life; I might not be able to get hold of that one book which may turn my whole life around. Books are my protection, and distraction. Reading stops my mind from wandering carelessly and stumbling into a black hole.

Reading also allows me to grow, they teach me harsh lessons about life but let me forego the experiences that I might not have been able to find or handle in my own reality. Katie Piper’s memoir, ‘Beautiful’ was a massive inspiration to me, she shows such courage and shows you that you have to just go on. An important conclusion to draw but one where I certainly didn’t want the experience she had to gain such wisdom. Books like this also remind me how lucky I am.

I could write so much about my love of reading but by now, you’ll probably understand why I tell you how annoying it is when I’m told to put a book down and experience the world and there will be time to read when I’m older.

Sadly, there is no guarantee I will have the same ability to read even tomorrow. I’m scared of one day being unable to pick up the ‘heavy’ book lying around or to decipher the black marks on the page. If that happens then I hope I’ve trained my mind through reading enough to look at that Matilda print and let my imagination write its own stories carrying me away ‘past the stars on silver wings’

“And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who Is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours” (Alan Bennett, ‘The History Boys’.)

Samantha Vickery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Friday: Update

We are restarting Fiction Friday, our previously popular initiative where each week we will post on the blog a marvellous Q&A featuring various college staff discussing what they love to read and why, along with some wildcard questions.  We love talking about books - it's a great way to start conversations, or discover new reads, not to mention building a rapport with kindred spirits who also love talking about books.  We will be featuring one post per week, with one lucky college staff member talking about their literary life. We've been really busy in the interim - here's some highlights: Currently we are tweeting about our 23 Days of Wellbeing - this was inspired by the BRIT Challenge, and we are selecting 23 books for 23 days that we love and relate to living a happy, healthy, well life.  Our Word of the Week continues to grace each seven days with a new and intriguing word choice that expands vocabulary and showcases our fantastic resource, the Oxford English Dicti

#Fiction Friday - Interview with Yeovil College Principal John Evans

Welcome to  #FictionFriday, where we ask Yeovil College staff to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences of reading and stories. Each staff member selects questions to answer from a finely honed and crafted selection, designed to entertain and educate us about their reading lives.  Today is our final Fiction Friday, and our YC Reading work experience student, Hattie Harwood, had the pleasure of interviewing our principal, John Evans, about the merits of books and reading.     Hi John! Firstly, we need to know which Hogwarts House you'd be sorted into!:   Gryffindor . Never read them, but I’ve watched them – my sons have read them. I know people really connect with them. What’s the first book you remember reading, or being read? I know exactly which one. I came to reading late in life, and it was John Grisham's “A Time to Kill”. I was already teaching, having gone through school, then an apprenticeship, teacher training and lecturing without

Welcome to the 2021 Yeovil College Book Club.

  The Y eovil College (YC) Reading Book Club is about sharing stories, fiction and reading together with like-minded folk. We will be meeting on campus and reading a book every month (or at least seeing how far we get!) Along the way, we will be encouraging club members to share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about the stories they love or loathe, delving into related topics such as adaptations, representation, and what it means to be a reader in the digital age, within a safe and supportive community space.  What makes us different is that we encourage each book to be viewed as a source of inspiration, and our members produce a creative response from what they found significant, good or interesting from each text read. This could be fine art, crafts, book reviews, think-pieces, creative writing, blogs or vlogs, a Sims reenactment, fan fiction... the list goes on! We will be sharing these via this blog, and our wider community. We look forward to welcoming you.