Skip to main content

'City of Bones' Book Club members reviews...


Margaret

I was so sceptical when I found out that this book was a teen fantasy. I really didn't think that I was going to enjoy it yet before I'd even completed City of Bones, I'd purchased the follow up which I look forward to reading this summer.

I didn't realise there could be so many twists and turns in a plot and I found it useful that this novel was split in to chapters. It made it easy to read a bit each day and I found myself looking forward to my next reading session as there seemed to be a point to each chapter and each one seemed to leave you with questions and a longing to read the next chapter for the answers.

I enjoyed meeting all of the different characters and found their portrayal just made the plot more convincing. Though I have to say, I was very disappointed when Hodge's true colours showed through. For some reason, the demon motorbikes really caught my imagination and seemed to add some lightness to the scenes without ridiculing them.

In summary, I thought this book was wonderful and very well-written. I'm glad there are a few more of these books to follow. Great book club choice, thank you. The City of Bones has definitely made me more open minded about the genres I explore, reading.

Sam

Fantasy is not really my genre so I was very surprised when I read the first chapter of City of Bones to find I desperately wanted to read more. I thought Clare really painted the scene, the characters and questions so well. 

I really enjoyed the dynamics between Simon and Clary and as I continued to read the book, I found myself in awe of Clary's writing. The detail she includes in the world she has created is amazing and I thought, her writing was very readable. When I was actually reading the book, I loved it but I have to admit that I didn't really think of it much in between reading or long to find out what happened next. I feel that my admiration for Clare's writing carried me through the plot rather then the plot been the main draw. As good as the twists and turns were, I feel if I hadn't enjoyed the narration of the tale, I would have given up on it. Yet I loved Clare's detail and characterisation. 

I liked the fact that Simon held his own with comebacks at Jace and the 'skylight' episode even though he is ordinary and has no magic powers as such. Some of the passages in this book made me think. I thought the comparison that Hodge made between Alex and Jace + Clary and Simon interesting and the warning he gave about love and hate. I also liked the way that Simon can see the shadow hunters now without gaining any new powers but only the knowledge that the Shadowhunter's world exists. This could act as a metaphor for what we see or don't in our own lives.

I'm interested to see what Book 2 of The Mortal Instruments brings and curious to start The Infernal Devices series by the same author which seems to get slightly better reviews.

David             

I am an avid sic-fi/fantasy reader so was looking forward to reading ‘City of Bones’. I must say I was slightly disappointed as it didn’t live up to my expectations; however it was still an enjoyable read.

I found that Clare developed the characters well, however she seemed to borrow features from other novels of the similar genre, making it quite predictable and generic.

Overall, a good read and I would recommend this book to others. Although I do not feel moved to go out and purchase the others in the series- perhaps if I could get them on EBook at a reduced cost or free I would read them though.

Sharon

Fantasy is not typically my first choice of genre- I have gone as far as reading the Harry Potter and Twilight series, so when this book was selected in the club I was slightly pessimistic but willing to give it a go.

The book has its good features- Clare writes well and the characters can be envisioned and the relationships established well. However as the book progressed it seemed to loose its flow. Understandably as a series, you would expect the 1st book to be introductory but I found in places it was so inconsistent and Clare’s target audience (young adults/teenagers) seem to become quite confused. That said, I was compelled to read the 2nd in the series (more because the ending of this one seemed to fall flat and just stop- as if Clare had taken the story and cut it up into chunks to make a series) and I found it is a lot more enjoyable than the 1st- it becomes darker and more explanatory.

Overall it was an enjoyable book- I am indifferent in the sense of I didn’t dislike it but I didn’t love it. I always imagined fantasy to be “made-up” places not set in the “real-world” like City of Bones so maybe the genre was misconstrued slightly. I would recommend the series- but to the correct target audience.

Sami

I absolutely LOVE Clare and this series. I was so pleased when the book was chosen so I could share my opinions with the group.

There are a total of 7 books in the series to which I have read 6 (with the 7th on order). I originally watched the film adaptation which inspired me to read the series, and to which I wasn’t disappointed- I was captivated from the very beginning and have enjoyed each book more and more as the series goes along.

Clare’s ideas are weird- yes- her incestuous scenes are quite absurd in places, which can be quite uncomfortable- however those points make for the back bone of the story which compelled me to read on. Like Sharon, I agree that the target audience gradually changes and slips in the series- although that had no impact on my willingness to read them.

Overall (of course) I would recommend ‘City of Bones’ and the whole Clare series. They make for a fantastic read which everyone should give a try!

Wendy

‘City of Bones’ is in my opinion aimed at the teenage market and as such the language used is simple.  The story is adventurous and the characters really draw you in.  The ‘monsters’ and ‘underworlders’ are nothing new but nevertheless I found them intriguing enough to need to know what happened next.  I couldn’t stop at the first book and I am now onto the second which I have found just as good.

 
Thank you all for your great reviews- now onto ‘The Silkworm’ by Robert Galbraith.


-          Carey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Friday: Update

We are restarting Fiction Friday, our previously popular initiative where each week we will post on the blog a marvellous Q&A featuring various college staff discussing what they love to read and why, along with some wildcard questions.  We love talking about books - it's a great way to start conversations, or discover new reads, not to mention building a rapport with kindred spirits who also love talking about books.  We will be featuring one post per week, with one lucky college staff member talking about their literary life. We've been really busy in the interim - here's some highlights: Currently we are tweeting about our 23 Days of Wellbeing - this was inspired by the BRIT Challenge, and we are selecting 23 books for 23 days that we love and relate to living a happy, healthy, well life.  Our Word of the Week continues to grace each seven days with a new and intriguing word choice that expands vocabulary and showcases our fantastic resource, the Oxford English Dicti

#Fiction Friday - Interview with Yeovil College Principal John Evans

Welcome to  #FictionFriday, where we ask Yeovil College staff to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences of reading and stories. Each staff member selects questions to answer from a finely honed and crafted selection, designed to entertain and educate us about their reading lives.  Today is our final Fiction Friday, and our YC Reading work experience student, Hattie Harwood, had the pleasure of interviewing our principal, John Evans, about the merits of books and reading.     Hi John! Firstly, we need to know which Hogwarts House you'd be sorted into!:   Gryffindor . Never read them, but I’ve watched them – my sons have read them. I know people really connect with them. What’s the first book you remember reading, or being read? I know exactly which one. I came to reading late in life, and it was John Grisham's “A Time to Kill”. I was already teaching, having gone through school, then an apprenticeship, teacher training and lecturing without

Welcome to the 2021 Yeovil College Book Club.

  The Y eovil College (YC) Reading Book Club is about sharing stories, fiction and reading together with like-minded folk. We will be meeting on campus and reading a book every month (or at least seeing how far we get!) Along the way, we will be encouraging club members to share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about the stories they love or loathe, delving into related topics such as adaptations, representation, and what it means to be a reader in the digital age, within a safe and supportive community space.  What makes us different is that we encourage each book to be viewed as a source of inspiration, and our members produce a creative response from what they found significant, good or interesting from each text read. This could be fine art, crafts, book reviews, think-pieces, creative writing, blogs or vlogs, a Sims reenactment, fan fiction... the list goes on! We will be sharing these via this blog, and our wider community. We look forward to welcoming you.