Skip to main content

'What Dreams May Come' Book Club Review..

Silja:

I went into this book wanting to like it and with willingness to get to the end- while I got to the end I can’t say I particularly enjoyed it. There was so much about it that niggled at me: firstly the story was very confusing- things seemed to come from nowhere and I constantly found myself having to skip back chapters in order to understand what was going on. I also found the structure of the book dissatisfying- I felt like I worked to keep up with Matheson rather than him helping me along- I don’t like books that are a “struggle” to read.
Secondly I found the content and general theme of the book to be quite a massive feat to take on and challenge- the bibliography in the back was quite pretentious and I found Matheson to be quite judgemental in the way in which he envisaged heaven/hell/the afterlife and therefore that’s how it will be for everyone. Heaven for me lacked a sense of place- he only talked about people and dogs being in heaven- but where were the other animals? I didn’t buy the story at all.
Thirdly I struggled to visualise the characters and their surroundings- I wanted to feel grounded and have a sense of place but the book lacked those characteristics for me- I also thought this book was aimed more towards the male population- it was full of science when in essence it is a love story.
Overall I didn’t come away from this book feeling satisfied (especially with the rushed ending!) I want a book to be like a nice meal and you come away from it after having coffee and mints not a doughnut shoved in your face!
Would I recommend it? Sure I guess- but only to men!
Wendy:
I didn’t like this book in the slightest. Firstly the whole direction and structure of the book was so disjointed I found myself regularly confused about who was talking to whom and what was going on. The book didn’t flow as well as I would have hoped- it often felt rushed- it’s like Matheson had read hundreds of books on religion and the afterlife and cut and chopped pieces up to form What Dreams May Come-also the beginning where it stated “only the characters are made up” unsettled me.

I think the book could have been made into a possible trilogy- firstly with Chris going to heaven, secondly him going into hell to find Annie and thirdly their rebirth and finding each other again- why rush?
This book did make me think about my beliefs though which I applaud Matheson for doing- maybe the purpose of this book wasn’t to sell it by the masses but to challenge and stretch people’s minds and views about religion and the afterlife?
Overall I was very unsatisfied with the book and wouldn’t recommend it.
Ann:
 
Unfortunately I agree with the majority for this book- I did not enjoy it. I couldn’t connect or visualise with any of the characters which made me repeatedly skim past chapters until I reached the end! Sorry to say I wouldn’t recommend it or watch the film.
Margaret:
I have mixed opinions about this book- while there were some parts I enjoyed- especially the short and snappy chapters- others I did not. The beginning I found more understandable but it was a bit creepy and unnerving when I wasn’t expecting it. The ending I got totally lost and I couldn’t really connect with the characters. I wouldn’t recommend this book.

David:
I really enjoyed this book- it is my kind of genre so knew I would enjoy it and I love the film. Don’t get me wrong there are some flaws to the story- the predetermined ‘fate’ of suicides (especially when all suicides are different and within their own context like grief etc.) and the end where Chris went (literally) through hell to find his wife and then when she returns he doesn’t see her anyway? All of that for nothing??
I loved the reading references at the end- it linked so nicely to other religions and philosophies which I will explore.

While I think I was heavily influenced by the film – the characters I could visualise and I could picture heaven and hell like the film portrayed- I did enjoy it and would definitely recommend it (but the film first!).
Sharon S:
I don’t have too much to say about this book- I think I imagined it to be completely different so when I read it I was shocked- the story was not how I anticipated! I did start off enjoying it but I grew progressively despondent as it went on. I would not recommend this book or watch the film.

Nick:
I have made my feelings clear about this book with my full review- I like it a lot and it is my sort of taste and interest. I enjoyed hearing the other’s members opinions though and do agree that there was possibly too much research and not enough imagination.
I would definitely recommend this book- perhaps to like-minded people though.

Sharon C:
There’s not really much to say about my thoughts on “What Dreams May Come”, except: hated it, hated it, hated it - overly long and boring.

The main character, Chris, is killed in a car crash and his devastated family are left to grief.  However, Chris is ‘on the other side’ watching them and wants to prove to his wife, Ann, there is an afterlife – she is sceptical of life after death.  The story is apparently conveyed to a Medium who writes down Chris’ story and gives it to his brother, Robert, who Chris refers to regularly and I found this quite distracting.  Unable to cope without Chris, Ann commits suicide.  Chris is desperate to be with her again and sets out to find her.  However, because she has taken her own life, she is not in a good place, leaving Chris to plummet the depths of the afterlife to ‘convert’ her, so they may be together again.  Ann’s character didn’t really develop, so we weren’t able to form much of an opinion about her, but I must say I didn’t like either character particularly.  Chris, to me, seemed to be seeking his chattel; he and Ann had the same interests and did everything together – she appeared weak with no definition and their relationship had no apparent contrast.

The reader is lead to believe this actually happens and is lead through the glories of Heaven and what being ‘good’ could bring us on the other side, then given the contrast of being cast into the fiery furnace of Hell, for those who have not lead such impeccable lives as mortals.  Much of the time I felt I was just reading long passages of description just there to push home the contrasts of the two options available after death.
The story idea was an interesting concept and I was keen to read it, but what I thought was going to be a tender love story with Chris reaching out to Ann, turned out to be a religious diatribe trying to convert the reader to the concept of the good going to Heaven, leaving the rest of us in Hell.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Friday: Update

We are restarting Fiction Friday, our previously popular initiative where each week we will post on the blog a marvellous Q&A featuring various college staff discussing what they love to read and why, along with some wildcard questions.  We love talking about books - it's a great way to start conversations, or discover new reads, not to mention building a rapport with kindred spirits who also love talking about books.  We will be featuring one post per week, with one lucky college staff member talking about their literary life. We've been really busy in the interim - here's some highlights: Currently we are tweeting about our 23 Days of Wellbeing - this was inspired by the BRIT Challenge, and we are selecting 23 books for 23 days that we love and relate to living a happy, healthy, well life.  Our Word of the Week continues to grace each seven days with a new and intriguing word choice that expands vocabulary and showcases our fantastic resource, the Oxford English Dicti

#Fiction Friday - Interview with Yeovil College Principal John Evans

Welcome to  #FictionFriday, where we ask Yeovil College staff to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences of reading and stories. Each staff member selects questions to answer from a finely honed and crafted selection, designed to entertain and educate us about their reading lives.  Today is our final Fiction Friday, and our YC Reading work experience student, Hattie Harwood, had the pleasure of interviewing our principal, John Evans, about the merits of books and reading.     Hi John! Firstly, we need to know which Hogwarts House you'd be sorted into!:   Gryffindor . Never read them, but I’ve watched them – my sons have read them. I know people really connect with them. What’s the first book you remember reading, or being read? I know exactly which one. I came to reading late in life, and it was John Grisham's “A Time to Kill”. I was already teaching, having gone through school, then an apprenticeship, teacher training and lecturing without

Welcome to the 2021 Yeovil College Book Club.

  The Y eovil College (YC) Reading Book Club is about sharing stories, fiction and reading together with like-minded folk. We will be meeting on campus and reading a book every month (or at least seeing how far we get!) Along the way, we will be encouraging club members to share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about the stories they love or loathe, delving into related topics such as adaptations, representation, and what it means to be a reader in the digital age, within a safe and supportive community space.  What makes us different is that we encourage each book to be viewed as a source of inspiration, and our members produce a creative response from what they found significant, good or interesting from each text read. This could be fine art, crafts, book reviews, think-pieces, creative writing, blogs or vlogs, a Sims reenactment, fan fiction... the list goes on! We will be sharing these via this blog, and our wider community. We look forward to welcoming you.