Skip to main content

'The Silkworm' Book Club Review...


Sam:
Having read 'The Cuckoos Calling' earlier in the year, I was eagerly anticipating the release of Silkworm and it did not disappoint.

At the end, I just could not believe that I had not worked out the culprit earlier. All the clues are there in the book, Rowling has tied everything up yet I think, like many I hope, I just made one presumption at the beginning of the book about events which distracted me from the culprit and their motives. I did not have a clue until that final showdown who had done it or why. I found the motive and the characters very believable. Occasionally I did get confused between the characters as there were so many which probably reflects the busy world of publishing and all the 'big' personalities, Rowling has encountered in her own experiences.

The development of Robin and Strike's relationship and the revelations about their other relationships seemed to ring true and add dimension to the character. I found myself intrigued by what we found out about Charlotte and I hope Rowling explores this further in future instalments. 

The final point I'd like to mention is my great admiration in the way Rowling sets the scene and almost 'paints' contemporary London and England. The extra little details about the snow and news stories just made me feel more involved with the book. I can't wait to find out what Strike gets up to next!
Nick:

It’s still hard to believe that J.K Rowling writes these books when you think about the language in ‘Harry Potter’. Unlike those fantasy epics, these characters speak with unyielding brutality and the characters, the place and story are all as convincing as the idea that it might rain in England. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Harry Potter’ is believable in its own right, but it’s called fantasy for a reason. ‘The Cuckoo’s Calling’ introduced the chubby, pube-like haired, amputee, ex-army detective, Cormoran Strike onto the crime scene and now he’s back with a brand new case, new problems and an obsession with tea.
A venomous writer, Owen Quine has gone AWOL and his wife asks Strike to bring him back. It’s a simple starting point, but ‘The Silkworm’ invites you, well, more like yanks you into the literary world of scolding agents, arrogant writers, clueless wives and sadistic editors where nobody can be trusted. ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’ did this with the modelling world, but it’s more frightening in this because writers can be the worst enemy you can find. As demonstrated by Owen’s book which has stormed its way through the wordy world. ‘Bombyx Mori’ has become the BOOK THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED. You won’t find anything new with Strike’s character here, he visits more pubs than he ever did before and chats with everybody connected to the chunky writer’s disappearance and just like in ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’, I lost track about the who’s and what’s. It’s not J.K Rowling’s fault I can’t follow crime.
With that said, there’s a decent story here. It’s interesting that Strike has to find a man that made it so easy for everybody to hate him, and as the hero of the story, you need to root for Strike to bring back the beans. Well, for me, Strike is a great character but I feel that Rowling tries too hard sometimes to paint the picture that he is a loser. She’s made him sound as unattractive as possible and sometimes, I felt like it didn’t need reminding. His relationship with Robin I found was the main attraction. They collide more this time, Robin, the voice of reason argues with him from time to time and since he’s, you know, a BLOKE, he’s got to be stubborn and insistent on how right he is. Strike’s attitude got tiresome sometimes, but that’s the nature of his character. He won’t be easily swayed no matter what. And in ‘The Silkworm’, he does plenty dumb things.
 
It’s all about suspense, crime novels. ‘The Silkworm’ has a lot of that, but the first half struggled to get going for me. Once Strike found Quine’s body, (NOT A SPOILER, it’s all in the blurb) the story got interesting. However, the second half kept me reading, I wanted to find out who killed him and then ‘The Silkworm’ pulled out what I felt was a cheap trick. Robin and Strike openly talk about the killer, but their name is never mentioned and I understand it’s all about suspense with a capital S, but seriously, the reader is right there! Stop hiding! The actual ending though caught me off-guard, right when it looked like it was someone, and it turned out it was somebody else. The actual discovery of the killer sounded like it was built from a whole lot of luck rather than true detection, but I guess every detective gets lucky once, right? The story is a great one, some fantastic thinking went into it and I’ve never read anything like this before. Shame that it took a while to get there.
J.K Rowling writes bloody well. Sometimes I wished she wouldn’t use such unknown words when a simple word would do instead, but that’s a small thing. She writes crime incredibly well, hard to believe for somebody so well-known for magic, but that’s being judgmental. Just because she speaks English doesn’t mean she only knows one language. She has a great writing voice that suits the dark, gritty world of crime and private investigation and it’s amazing how convincing her characters are. Each one as dark and self-centered as the next. London is home to leeches of media and vanity, and she nails it. If not for a few story elements that I didn’t like and the slow start, annoying words instead of smaller ones and over-playing Strike’s ugliness, I may have preferred it over ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’. Still, this and ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’ make fantastic precursors to a series J.K Rowling has said to continue.
David:

I preferred Cuckoo’s Calling to this one, however I found the book had yet again been beautifully written, especially the development of Robin and Strike’s relationship. Rowling sets the scene so well in her story telling that you literally imagine the surroundings, locations and characters well.
I will defiantly read the next instalment, however if the rumours are correct are there are going to be another 5 in the series, I would want something substantial and gripping to happen to hold my interest.

Sharon:
Although I enjoyed this instalment I much preferred Rowling’s first book. I found this book to laboured, with the characters confusing and the plot too formulaic. I did like the development of the characters though; I got more of a sense of Strike and Robin’s characters and background. Rowling always does a stand up job in her writing, however I expect big things to happen in the next book for me to remain interested.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Friday: Update

We are restarting Fiction Friday, our previously popular initiative where each week we will post on the blog a marvellous Q&A featuring various college staff discussing what they love to read and why, along with some wildcard questions.  We love talking about books - it's a great way to start conversations, or discover new reads, not to mention building a rapport with kindred spirits who also love talking about books.  We will be featuring one post per week, with one lucky college staff member talking about their literary life. We've been really busy in the interim - here's some highlights: Currently we are tweeting about our 23 Days of Wellbeing - this was inspired by the BRIT Challenge, and we are selecting 23 books for 23 days that we love and relate to living a happy, healthy, well life.  Our Word of the Week continues to grace each seven days with a new and intriguing word choice that expands vocabulary and showcases our fantastic resource, the Oxford English Dicti

#Fiction Friday - Interview with Yeovil College Principal John Evans

Welcome to  #FictionFriday, where we ask Yeovil College staff to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences of reading and stories. Each staff member selects questions to answer from a finely honed and crafted selection, designed to entertain and educate us about their reading lives.  Today is our final Fiction Friday, and our YC Reading work experience student, Hattie Harwood, had the pleasure of interviewing our principal, John Evans, about the merits of books and reading.     Hi John! Firstly, we need to know which Hogwarts House you'd be sorted into!:   Gryffindor . Never read them, but I’ve watched them – my sons have read them. I know people really connect with them. What’s the first book you remember reading, or being read? I know exactly which one. I came to reading late in life, and it was John Grisham's “A Time to Kill”. I was already teaching, having gone through school, then an apprenticeship, teacher training and lecturing without

Welcome to the 2021 Yeovil College Book Club.

  The Y eovil College (YC) Reading Book Club is about sharing stories, fiction and reading together with like-minded folk. We will be meeting on campus and reading a book every month (or at least seeing how far we get!) Along the way, we will be encouraging club members to share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about the stories they love or loathe, delving into related topics such as adaptations, representation, and what it means to be a reader in the digital age, within a safe and supportive community space.  What makes us different is that we encourage each book to be viewed as a source of inspiration, and our members produce a creative response from what they found significant, good or interesting from each text read. This could be fine art, crafts, book reviews, think-pieces, creative writing, blogs or vlogs, a Sims reenactment, fan fiction... the list goes on! We will be sharing these via this blog, and our wider community. We look forward to welcoming you.