Skip to main content

Atonement Book Review by member Sam..


I was actually quite surprised by how hard going I found this book to begin with. I immediately found Briony endearing and loved the little character details which made the characters unique like how Briony liked the idea of having things to keep secrets in but yet she didn't have any secrets of her own to keep. However, I just felt like I was getting to know Briony and then Cecilia was introduced, just getting to know her then Robbie and so on. The book felt a bit busy with all these characters to get to know and then there was the detailing description of the setting like the garden and although, it sounded beautiful. It was almost too detailed for me and I felt a bit naughty 'cos the garden I conjured up in my mind was always missing something from McEwan's description. I think I found the move from TFIOS to Atonement almost overwhelming in the writing style. For example TFIOS was pretty much from one point of view, Hazels, but this story is told from so many and the sentences in Atonement felt so long to start with. The amount of information there was a little overwhelming for me and I just felt like I should be able to take it all in so was a bit frustrated when I felt I wasn't.

 
I did really want to get in to the novel though. Obviously for book club but also because all the reviews out there are so positive about this book and also because I really did take to the characters when I concentrated just on them rather than the setting or what was happening. The characterisation was brilliant and I actually felt that I got in the book with the 'dinner' scene. It brought all the individuals and pieces together and I loved the resulting interactions between them. However, I wish McEwan had written a scene a bit like this earlier as I'm not sure the long introductions to everybody needed to be quite so wordy. I felt as if I learnt almost as much about the characters in one dinner scene as I did in all the chapters proceeding combined.

 
I can now say since finishing Part One that I'm very much enjoying the book and I loved how McEwan illustrated a mother’s love with Grace's reaction to the arrest and her use of the umbrella! Mr Marshall's actions seem so blatant then it is hard to believe right now that he has any redeemable side, eurgh. However, I can sort of understand Lola's confusion after the attack and the fact that she does not voice her doubts about Briony's interpretation. The event portrayed is so horrifying, I just think 'that poor girl' and that her head must be all over the place. I'm looking forward to finishing part 2 which so far, I have actually found easier to get in to.

Yesterday, I managed to finish the whole thing on my day off. I enjoyed the beginning of Part 2 with the Frenchmen in the barn and I liked the flashback bits filling in the gaps between Part 1 and 2.

 

I thought it was lovely how loyal Cecelia was and the faith she had in Robbie and I've got to admit it was kind of a surprise as she seemed a little harsh and colder towards him in Part 1. I guess, she was overwhelmed by her feelings for him etc. Funnily enough, Cecilia's behaviour reminded me of the love definition in TFIOS about not knowing what promises mean when you make them but that love is keeping them anyway!


Initially I found Part 2 easy to get in to especially with the French family. I liked how McEwan noted that although the soldiers were living different lives, other people were  trying to continue their lives 'normally' regardless of the war maybe even making the most of what potentially could be their last times of freedom while they have it. There were the people in Dunkirk talking outside in the street, knitting and gardening. Then with the French farm family, you see there are still the usual social happenings and problems occurring despite the war. Mother is trying to rule the house, she is aging and confused.


I found the images painted of Dunkirk powerful, cinematic and sometimes shocking but again, I thought in a way that McEwan just gave too many descriptions and examples of what Robbie saw that day but now I think about it, I guess the way Robbie is overwhelmed by what is happening is reflected in the way McEwan overwhelms the reader with description so maybe we can empathise more with Robbie. I particularly found the baby boy bit and the boy with fountain pens been mocked hard to read.


I thought that the way Robbie wanted to catch the pig even though he didn't have to illustrated something about his character and a faith that he might have that if you do something right, things will eventually be right for you too. The fact that he believed that made me feel more sorry for him in regard to the earlier injustice but then there is his flashback to the swimming and Briony and we see how he too can wrongly interpret why she made the accusation she did. Her mistake sent a man to prison but in effect, he is making the same type of mistake (but without the actions) when he recalls Briony's crush and accusation. Cecilia does it too in presuming Danny's guilt just like that. They all misinterpret things but maybe because of her age and nature, Briony went too far and Robbie was imprisoned.


I liked and totally believed what Robbie said about soldiers promising themselves all sorts of dreams and children if only they can survive the war.


I liked Part 3 and the nursing tales. I was so touched by the Frenchman scene and the fact that 'Tallis' went along with his confused thoughts since he was so poorly. I cannot believe that Marshall and Lola married and I'm not sure how convinced I am by that but I love the way the story came full circle in 1999 with the play etc. Although at times frustrating to read, it is only now I have finished, I understand why Atonement has been deemed a 'masterpiece.'


I also read in another review somewhere that the vase might be like a metaphor for Ceclia and Briony's relationship. All stuck together at first then broke then glued together (the reconciliation in Part 3) and then broken by Betty (the end of the relationship, Ceclia dying in the bombing of the station and the fact, I'm not sure Briony ever did tell her parents the truth of Robbie's innocence)


Even though at times, it was long winded, the research McEwan seems to have drawn on to write this novel must have been extensive and I'm so glad I did finish the novel and have took away what I have but the fact that McEwan has written so much suggests to me that if I was to read it again, I would continually find new bits that resonate with me and points to make etc.

- Sam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Friday: Update

We are restarting Fiction Friday, our previously popular initiative where each week we will post on the blog a marvellous Q&A featuring various college staff discussing what they love to read and why, along with some wildcard questions.  We love talking about books - it's a great way to start conversations, or discover new reads, not to mention building a rapport with kindred spirits who also love talking about books.  We will be featuring one post per week, with one lucky college staff member talking about their literary life. We've been really busy in the interim - here's some highlights: Currently we are tweeting about our 23 Days of Wellbeing - this was inspired by the BRIT Challenge, and we are selecting 23 books for 23 days that we love and relate to living a happy, healthy, well life.  Our Word of the Week continues to grace each seven days with a new and intriguing word choice that expands vocabulary and showcases our fantastic resource, the Oxford English Dicti

#Fiction Friday - Interview with Yeovil College Principal John Evans

Welcome to  #FictionFriday, where we ask Yeovil College staff to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences of reading and stories. Each staff member selects questions to answer from a finely honed and crafted selection, designed to entertain and educate us about their reading lives.  Today is our final Fiction Friday, and our YC Reading work experience student, Hattie Harwood, had the pleasure of interviewing our principal, John Evans, about the merits of books and reading.     Hi John! Firstly, we need to know which Hogwarts House you'd be sorted into!:   Gryffindor . Never read them, but I’ve watched them – my sons have read them. I know people really connect with them. What’s the first book you remember reading, or being read? I know exactly which one. I came to reading late in life, and it was John Grisham's “A Time to Kill”. I was already teaching, having gone through school, then an apprenticeship, teacher training and lecturing without

Welcome to the 2021 Yeovil College Book Club.

  The Y eovil College (YC) Reading Book Club is about sharing stories, fiction and reading together with like-minded folk. We will be meeting on campus and reading a book every month (or at least seeing how far we get!) Along the way, we will be encouraging club members to share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about the stories they love or loathe, delving into related topics such as adaptations, representation, and what it means to be a reader in the digital age, within a safe and supportive community space.  What makes us different is that we encourage each book to be viewed as a source of inspiration, and our members produce a creative response from what they found significant, good or interesting from each text read. This could be fine art, crafts, book reviews, think-pieces, creative writing, blogs or vlogs, a Sims reenactment, fan fiction... the list goes on! We will be sharing these via this blog, and our wider community. We look forward to welcoming you.